Friday, June 6, 2008

Teching: Network Monitoring Tool

The title intrigued me:

Gandalf! Monitor Your Machines with Hobbit

So I had to read it. Basically it is another SNMP thingamie but I am biased towards it's name of course. Hobbit. How cute.

But there are a slew of pretty complete/complex open source tools out there like nagios, to name but an extremely widely used one.

So what did the author site as an advantage to using Hobbit?

I would say the fact that:

1. There's portage for Debian/Ubuntu and RPM for Fedora Core 5. For the rest of the distro, you've gotta build from source, but it ain't that hard, really.
2. Easy to config compared to nagios or Big Brother etc.
3. Ready to graph data collected with personalised scripts == which translates to flexibility.

I will try this if I want a home setup.

No comments: