Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Running: After the Plane

We had a surreal time in Bangkok.
It was a shopping trip & boy did we shop.




Peng checked the departure for BKK-SIN and she told us, 8:15pm. And we did not doubt it at all.

We reached the hotel at 5pm, took our bags. Then Peng's face changed. She'd look at the e-ticket again and realised departure is at... 6:15pm!!!

Breathe, breathe. Breathe everyone, d@mn it.

We were pensive for a while. Then I took the ticket and started calling their hotline.

After a few attempts, I got someone on the line.

Me: Good afternoon, I have some enquiries but first of all, let me give you my ticket number.
Her: Sawasdee... oh yes.
Me: <gave her my ticket number>. *So here begins the Hustle moves* I am stuck in Bangkok traffic and I am worried if I might miss the flight.
Her: This is departing Bangkok at 6:15pm.
Me: Yes, I am aware of that. I will reach the airport before 5:30pm I am sure.
*Cab driver kept saying 15 minutes will reach. Yea, right!*
Her: Oooh... Miss, but you miss the check-in already. The counter is closed 45 minutes before take-off.
Me: Yes, that is the reason I am calling. Can I check-in over the phone?
*frantically reading the fine prints now*
Her: No, miss, you cannot. We do not provide replacement, either. You will have to buy another ticket back to SIN. The earliest we have is tomorrow at 11:00am.
Me: Well, this is not an acceptable answer to me. I need to get back by today. I was on the cab since 3:30 but it is raining causing horrible traffic at Bangkok city. This is really out of my control. *Thomas shot me a Liar!-look*
Her: I am sorry, miss.
Me: I am very sorry myself too, but the fact is just that. I am stuck in the traffic for hours already, frantically calling your hotline since an hour ago.
Her: Eerr...
Me: Fine, tell me what can I do?
Her: Eeerr...
Me: Tell me. What can I do?
Her: Next flight or you can call the airport and get the flight lists.
Me: Alright. Fine... Give me that number.

I was quiet. I had to think...
What can we do? Assume the worst now. That we cannot get on board this one. After all, it is budget.
We can take the train from Bangkok to Singapore. Fly to KL and take a train from there. Rent a car and drive all the way back. It is just Bangkok. Very near!

The cab is slowing down; we are reaching the airport.

Ok, Vuvie, do or die. I took out my hairband and tie my hair in a ponytail.

I said to everyone,"I am going to dash to the check-in counter and do what I do best. I am going to act now. Don't you guys say anything. Help me get my bags from the cab, ok? I have 2 bags. Two bags."
Thomas nodded, "Got it!"
I shouted,"What is the time now?"
Thomas replied,"5:45"

As I was getting out of the cab, I got into character and practised smiling.

Ran to the airlines' counters. Which one? Which one? Ok this line is short. Queue here. Wait, let's see the ticketing person. Male. Good. I can work with that.

Then came my turn.

I smiled widely at him and said,"Good evening! I called earlier and was told to be here latest by 6 if I want to catch the 6:15 flight. Apparently, I made it! Here I am." *toothy smile*

He looked at my passport and ticket, turned around to the person behind him who started talking into the walkie-talkie. She said something to him.

He said,"Ok, you can check-in. How many person?"

I turned to the gang and beckoned. 3 person with around 9 bags among themselves ran forward. He was quite taken aback.

He stood up and looked at our things,"No time to check-in. You can take this up?"

We all screamed,"Yes!"

He issued the boarding passes.

I was thinking, "What just happened? Oh man... I've just used the techniques Jerry taught me. When dealing with those telco b@stard$."

We rushed to the customs. Almost 6. Every queue has at least twenty people.
This is not happening! I cannot miss the plane because of custom queue! This is not fair!

Thomas went up to a Thai Passport custom officer; explained our situation and got us cleared.

I went in first. Time: 6:00 on the dot. I didn't wait for the rest. Started running to the gate. What was it I read on the fine prints again? Oh, yes. Last boarding is 10 minutes before take off. Because this is budget, if you miss it, there is no replacement.

What if I do miss it?
Once I reach, I will make a fuss if they:
1. Won't let me in because I am a few minutes late to boarding. I will just blame it on the security checks.
2. Won't let my friends in.

I am ready to be blacklisted by them if I have to

I kept running even though I was so tired and my legs felt like giving way. What tennis, I thought. This is exercise enough! I've only 10 minutes to get from customs to the boarding gate and it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back at the end!
*Later, Thomas said he ran so much he sprained his ass and started limping.
My brother laughed so hard and said, Well imagine you were chased by dogs and you will not stop running. I said, I think I was. "What? the customs released dogs, go chase that girl with the red bag?" "No, lah, I meant I did feel like I was chased by dogs because I cannot stop at all"

I made to the boarding gate security at 6:10. Ok cool. If they refuse me from boarding later, I will say because these people delayed me.

Officer: Any forms of liquids?
Me: Yes, you see, I was late and they told me to bring my luggage on board. So all my toiletteries' in this bag.
Officer: Any forms of liquids?
Me: *one second pause* No.
Officer: You are not allowed to bring any liquids more than 100ml on board.
Me: *took my mineral water out of my sling bag* This is all.
Officer: I throw this.
Me: By all means.

Held my breath when they scan the luggage.
I got through!!! Turned around. The gang is right behind me. Jumped, waived and signed like a spastic that I will go to the plane first to stop them from leaving. Thomas waved.

Ran to the boarding gate. The officers were looking at me when I screamed,"3 friends are right behind!!!"
One replied,"We know. You go ahead first"

I ran up the plane. Perspiring like mad. Took a seat.
Where are they? why aren't they here yet? I refused to sit down. Kept standing. Every 3 minutes, I will stop a stewardess to tell them to check on my friends.
Now, I am quite sure they are stuck because of the liquid checks.

One stewardess poked her head through the door and said to me,"Your keys?"
I knew it! Someone was holding my duffel bag and toiletteries bag is in it.
I ran out and bumped into Thomas. He said, "They need your key".
I know.

Ran up the stairs; they retained my passport, thought to myself, I am really going to sprain something soon. I am so tired, I will be able to walk later.

Peng was there with my duffel. I ran to her and opened the bag.
The officer looked in and didn't know what to do.

I have tons of habits and one of them is packing my bags like Matryoshka doll. So I gestured that I will do it myself and took out the smallest toiletteries bag. I opened it up and he snatched my sunblock. He checked and told me he is sorry but he had to throw that out. I said, "By all means!"

The airline lady ran to us, pointed at her watch and told us we had to get on board now. All the time, Peng had this pained guilty look on her face. I looked over at her and smiled.
I said,"It's ok, the whole plane can wait for us. We don't need to run. Just walk." She just glanced at me; eyes teary. As I was getting my passport back and she was doing her boarding, she whispered,"I am sorry."

It hurts me so, that she felt so guilty. I thought it was all quite fun. What an adventure! Here I was thinking this is such a boring shopping trip. My brain was seriously bored. I even wished I'd brought my book along to read. Dang, I even called one of my colleague and talked to him while he was transiting in Changi. THAT is how bored I was.

So I am glad this happened. It was mad! And I love it! What a fantastic, crazy adventure.

No comments: