Monday, September 8, 2008

Funny nerdy quotes

I'm a programmer. My attitude starts with arrogance, holds steady at condescension, and ends with hostility. Get used to it.

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isacc Asimov

"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting 'All the Gods are bastards.'" - Terry Pratchett

If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Gawking at stupidity.

Reality is what, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. Failure is not an option. It is a privilege reserved for those who try.

One thing I've noticed lately is that many engineers in different fields (EE, ME) don't try to simplify and automate things as much as software people do. I'm not sure why that is, or even if it's true in general. After all, the sample size I'm basing this on isn't very big (a couple dozen engineers I've worked with).

It may be cliche, but it seems that people who get good at writing software are motivated by laziness. If everyone was as constructively lazy as a good programmer is, the whole world would be more efficient.

--From here

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Rick Osborne


I try to compress orders at restaurants by giving all necessary information in one packet. This frequently does not work, because the order taker's task buffer is limited to one piece of data at a time.

Fast Food Girl: Can I take you're order?

Me: number 6, BBQ, diet cola, debit.

FFG: What dipping sauce would you like?

Me: BBQ, diet cola, debit.

FFG: What would you like to drink?

Me: Diet Cola, debit.

FFG: Is Pepsi OK?

Me: [ponders Abstract Base Classes and the FFG's lack of Polymorphic Behavior] Sure. I'll pay with my debit card.

FFG: And how will you be paying?

Me: [sighs] debit.

--From here



Personal:
I think I will die of exhaustion like this. I cannnot not sleep for so long!

No comments: